Discover the excitement of math in the real world using grocery store mathematics.
Meets Once a Week for 10 Weeks for 45 Minutes
This live math course starts on September 11, 2019 and ends on November 20, 2019 on Wednesdays at 4:00 p.m. Eastern Time with no class on October 23, 2019.
*Students who cannot meet live will receive a recording.
Students always want to know “when will we ever use this!” Grocery store mathematics is a fresh way to teach mathematics in the real world, also known as consumer math or home economics. This is a complete semester in which students will learn how to use mathematics to stay under budget while shopping. In this class students will get to go shopping to practice their real world skills.
The classes in this series are:
- In Module 1 students will learn what estimation(rounding) is, why estimation is important and how to use estimation when shopping. Students will learn how to round prices to the nearest dollar and ten cent.
- In Module 2 students will learn how to add and subtract prices that are rounded to the nearest dollar or ten cent.
- In Module 3 students will learn how to understand the weekly store ads and use them.
- In Module 4 students will learn how to calculate the prices of produce measured by pounds.
- In Module 5 students will learn how to calculate sales prices
- In Module 6 student will learn how to add up all the prices to calculate sales tax.
- Module 7 is the culminating project in which students combine all that they learn to create a budget for a week’s work of groceries, create a menu plan for that week, create a shopping list and execute the shopping list while staying under budget.
Students should know how to add and subtract whole numbers.
This course includes hands-on, real learning activities. Parents and students will be asked to determine a budget for grocery shopping, make a simple list and go to the grocery store with their family to practice what was learned.
Field Trips Encouraged:
Parents will be asked to download the zoom app and take a field trip with their kids to the grocery store to help them shop in the culminating project. Parents are encouraged to reward their children with a prize (that is within the budget) if the children manage to estimate correctly while shopping.
Students will join the live lessons via Zoom.us .While is it strongly encouraged to use the desktop/laptop you may also join via phone.
Students should meet the following system requirements:
- An internet connection – broadband wired or wireless (3G or 4G/LTE)
- Speakers and a microphone – built-in or USB plug-in or wireless Bluetooth
- A webcam or HD webcam – built-in or USB plug-in
- Or, a HD cam or HD camcorder with video capture card
Students will need the following additional items:
- Google Email for Parent
- Google Email Student (with parent having access)
- Additional Materials List will be supplied by the instructor as necessary.
- Bound notebook, pencil, calculator, clipboard for shopping
Still have questions? Call us at 404.644.8391 or email them to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
For a limited time, get $40 off the registration price with code Take40. Click here to register.